Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

I want to have a document - Power of Attorney- notarized so

Customer Question

I want to have a document - Power of Attorney- notarized so that I can manage our joint account responsibilities, since my husband who has been handling this for our family, has a health challenge and is not able to bear this responsibility anymore. Is it possible for the notary public to sign my Power of Attorney form that I have completed?
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 10 months ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of experience handling matters of this nature. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

Under Maryland law, a person (or principal or your husband in this case) can grant a second person (or agent or you in this case) power of attorney through a written and signed legal document stating that the agent has power to act on the principal’s behalf. There is no legal requirement that an attorney sign the power of attorney document in order to have it notarized. Sometimes, a witness can be present before the notary that also signs, but that person does not have to be an attorney.

So, it is possible for a notary to sign your PofA form that you have completed without an attorney signature or being present.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please rate my answer positively as well (three or more stars) so I can receive credit for my work.

Best wishes to you and your husband going forward!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have been told that the Post office has a notary public. Is this correct?

Yes, most post offices have a notary, as do most banks and law firms.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Please also rate my answer positively. Thank you!

Just checking to see if you have any other questions or comments. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks so far for your help. I have another question. My husband and I wrote our wills years ago and gave a copy to each other. The copies were not notarized and we prepared the documents ourselves. Are documents prepared in such a way acceptable as legal documents?