Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

2. QUESTIONS: 66 WITH WIFE IS 67 YRS OF AGE. NEITHER

Customer Question

2. QUESTIONS:
I AM MALE 66 WITH WIFE IS 67 YRS OF AGE.
NEITHER CLAIMING SS BENEFITS. MY WIFE HAS NOT WORKED MUCH AND MAY NOT QUALIFY FOR BENEFITS.
QUESTION 1 ON SOCIAL SECURITY
MY SALARY (MALE 66) IS $200,000 AND I'M STILL WORKING
WIFE FOR THE PAST FEW YRS IS EARNING $25000/YR, BUT MAY BE SHORT OF QUALIFYING FOR SS BENEFITS.
QUESTION: SHOULD WE FILE ON ME (66 YRS OLD MALE) AND THEN SUSPEND ON ME AND CLAIM BENEFITS FOR SPOUSE WIFE 67 ON MY SS?
QUESTION 2 MEDICARE PART B:
BOTH ME MALE 66 YRS AND WIFE 67 YRS HAVE MEDICARE PART A AND NO PART B.
WE ARE COVERED BY A BUSINESS INSURANCE PLAN THRU WORK AT NO COST. SHOULD WE CONTINUE TO NOT FILE FOR OR USE MEDICARE PART B?
Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

You can file for benefits and suspend yours and claim for wife.She would get a reduced benefit.You need to do this soon, the window closes in 2016.

Reference to that.

http://money.usnews.com/money/retirement/articles/2015/12/04/say-goodbye-to-the-social-security-file-and-suspend-strategy

You can keep on not taking Medicare Part B since you have the other plan.If circumstances change you can add it later on.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.