Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

My daughter and I are American citizens. We live in Israel,

Customer Question

My daughter and I are American citizens. We live in Israel, and my ex-husband lived in Lincoln, Nebraska, up until his death on Dec. 12, 2015.
What do I need to do in order to get a copy of my ex-husband's death certificate, and his will (if there is one).
Thanks,
Telma
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 11 months ago.

I hope this message finds you well. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of practice experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

The death certificate is not hard to come by in most cases. If your ex-husband did not re-marry, then you should have no real issues here. Please see the information in this link which includes an application for the issuance of a death certificate: http://dhhs.ne.gov/publichealth/Pages/ced_decert.aspx

The will, if there is one, may be a harder issue for you guys. That said, the place to start is the probate court in the county in which he lived at the time of his death. If he did die with a will, it should have been probated by his other heirs. Technically, they should have attempted to contact you or his daughter as well when this took place.

If his will was not probated in the probate court, the only other option would be to contact his other heirs (or his attorney if you knew him to have one) and request a copy. I assume your daughter is his daughter. As such, she is a lawful heir and has a right to a copy of the will, if it exists.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

Please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars) so I can receive credit for my work.

By the way, Israel is a beautiful, special place. I am jealous you are there.

Best!

Just checking in with you to see if you have any other questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you mover forward. Best wishes!