LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I just stumbled upon this website. Forgive me, but is there

Customer Question

I just stumbled upon this website. Forgive me for asking, but is there a fee for your services?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Before I ask any questions, I want to know if there is a fee involved for your services as I do not want to kindly take up your time.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am in a pending lawsuit and my attorney has removed themselves from my case. I recently received a Notice of Intent to Take Oral and Videotaped Deposition of Plaintiff and because I am now representing myself, is it protocol for me to respond to the Opposing Counsel notifying them that I will be at the deposition? Also am I required to attend?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While it is not legally an obligation that you notify opposing counsel that you will be attending the scheduled deposition, it is required by law that you do attend at the date and time set. If you fail to attend, the attorney for the other party will file a Motion to Compel and the court will order that you appear for another deposition and that you pay all the legal expenses of the other attorney in making the motion and in lost time when you didn't show the first time.

As far as protocol is concerned, it is common for one side to contact the other, the day before the deposition is set, and confirm the time of the deposition for the next day.

If the date and time set for your deposition is not convenient for you for some reason, the attorney will generally agree to reset the deposition for a more convenient time as a courtesy to you. To get the deposition reset you will have to call the attorney and then send a confirming letter of the agreed on time for the reset of the deposition.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

Thanks in advance,

Doug