Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I have a cessa airplane stored in a private hangar and the

Customer Question

i have a cessa airplane stored in a private hangar and the owner of the hangar just called to say that the roof collasped and did damage to my plane. is the owner of the hangar responsible for damages to my plane as i did not have insurance on the plane as it was in storage
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Does the written storage lease provide any basis for liability on the part of the landlord, or does it contain a general release of claims?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
there was no written storage lease agreement, it was a month to month. the air plane was in another building and had been in that building for a period of 10 years - then 6 months ago the owner of the hangars moved my plane (with out my knowledge or permission to another building) as he said the rent was going to be increased so he moved my plane. I told him i was not very happy with that decision as to where he moved the plane as that hangar had collasped previously several yrs ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

If there is not general release of claims then the landlord is responsible to you for moving the plane to a structure which he knew, or should have known, had a risk of failure. This is especially true if it was moved without your consent or permission.

You should make a demand that he reimburse you for your damages. If he refuses then sue him.