Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I have a collection of photographs and 33 stories I've

Customer Question

I have a collection of photographs and 33 stories I've written from interviews with now deceased Russian immigrants. In 1980 when I started writing, I didn't ask anyone to sign a permission statement. Can I still publish the stories and photographs of the people who didn't sign permission slips? If not, what do I do to legally correct the situation?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel.

You can publish with the names. I suggest that there can be no defamation against the deceased, so you should have no problems there, even though I understand what you have is the truth.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

The dead have no cause of action for defamation, and neither do their survivors, unless the words independently reflect upon and defame the survivors.