Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Last week we had an employee from Rocky Mountain Power come

Customer Question

Last week we had an employee from Rocky Mountain Power come onto our property unannounced to Install a smart meter. He came yielding a baton and struck my 4 month old Yellow Lab across the head splitting her eye open.
I was never notified that they wanted to replace the meter, which I would have fought anyway since they are known to cause cancer and other health issues.
I am hoping to find out what I can do. What are my rights? The Power company says that their meter maid was uncomfortable with my dogs on the property, but what right does that give them to come on to my property yielding a weapon? Should they not have notified me and requested I restrain my dogs before they attempted to replace the meter? I am wanting to press charges, but I am not getting much response or follow through from local law enforcement, and the power company wants to pay for the vet bill and have this go away, they included a clause that releases all liability if we cash the check.
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Generally a utility company and its employees have a right to come onto your real property in order to work on/replace/maintain its property. So, the fact that the employee came onto your property unannounced is likely perfectly legal as long as he was there on official business. Thus, there's probably no claim for anything except for the harm he caused your puppy......which was likely excessive and unnecessary. This is especially true if you were never alerted to his presence, the utility worker never asked you to put the dog up, etc.

Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

But, in terms of a claim, if you went to court over the matter, it's likely that the judge would order the utility company to pay any expenses you've incurred -- the biggest one being the vet bill.

Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Thus, if the utility is offering money to pay the vet bill, then its likely a fair offer UNLESS you have other damages that you can identify and attribute to the utility company.

As for the meter being changed out, it's likely the company's right to change it if you wish to continue receiving service from them. So, there's not likely much you could do in that regard.