Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

KANSAS, AFTER A CONVICTION IN MUNICIPAL COURT, I WAS ORDERED

Customer Question

KANSAS, AFTER A CONVICTION IN MUNICIPAL COURT, I WAS ORDERED TO PAY $200 FINE AND $80 COURT COST ONE WEEKEND IN JAIL AN 6 MONTH PROBATION.
MY CASE IS PAINFUL, POLICE FABRICATED BATTERY ACCUSATION AND AFTER I STATED THAT I WILL APPEAL IN DISTRICT COURT, I GOT $1000 APPEAL BOND.
WHATLAW/ STATUTES ADDRESS THE BONDS, IF APPLYIS IN MY CASE AND WHAT IS THE MAXIMUM BOND ALLOWED IN MY CASE BY LAW?
LUCA MATEI (###) ###-####***@******.***
Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

The appeal bond serves the same purpose as any other type of bond. IT is calculated and set based on flight risk factors. No Bond, however, should be unjustly set wherein it can be construed as "cruel and unusual"

§ 7.15 Criminal Appeals A defendant who has been convicted of a crime may be released by the district court, under the same conditions as those available for release before conviction, while awaiting sentencing or after filing a notice of appeal. To grant the application, the district court must find that “the conditions of release will reasonably assure that the person will not flee or pose a danger to any other person or to the community.” K.S.A. 22‑2804(1). The application for release after conviction must be made to the district court even if an appeal has been docketed in an appellate court. K.S.A. 22‑2804(2). If the district court denies the application or the court does not grant the relief sought, the defendant may file an application for release after conviction with the appellate court having jurisdiction over the appeal. K.S.A. 22‑2804(2).