Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Need to write Compassion letter to judge
, My husband

Customer Question

Customer: Need to write Compassion letter to judge
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My husband scheduled to be sentenced in February, and I need to write a compassion letter to judge.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information only for educational purposes only, and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. I am going to provide you with a sample letter below. NOTE that this should not be used verbatim. This is to simply give you an idea of what such a letter would look like.

[Your name]

[Your address]
[Date]
Honorable [Name of the Judge]
[Address of the Court]
Dear Judge [Name of the Judge]:

I am writing today in regards ***** ***** ________. I want the Court to know the Defendant as I know him, and not only as a defendant in a criminal matter. I have known ___ since (year). Since then, he has show himself to be a (list of positive attributes, such as nice, caring, etc.) to many people. This is why I agreed to marry him.

For example.... In addition.... (give 2-3 acts of kindess, charity, and volunteering that he engaged/engages in).

I am not familiar with the side of the man that stands before you. I understand that justice must be served and punishment must be dispensed. I ask that the Court temper its decision, and that it be predicated not only on what _____ has been accused of, but also what he has done in the past to better his community, and the positive aspects of what he will do in the future.

Thank you.

[Name]
[Date]

Good luck.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I am checking in because you have not rated positively. To me this means you may have another question, or may have just forgotten to rate. Please let me know – I am simply touching base. Thanks!