Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

12 years ago I divorced & entered into a divorce stipulation

Customer Question

12 years ago I divorced & entered into a divorce stipulation & foolishly did not have a attorney representing me , although she ended up with a 100% of the company that we had built over twenty five years . she also made sure she was to receive 50% of the proceeds of two commercial pieces of real estate via the divorce stipulation agreement . The properties are solely in my name & the stipulation states the properties are to be sold & proceeds split .
So my essential question is this , if I sold the properties and did not split the monies what's her recourse ? Can or could she interfere with the transactions ? i.e Would I need to notify her of the sale ?
Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA.Ray here to help you today.

If title is in your name here then you may well be able to sell them without her.The ex would have the right to file contempt of court where the divorce was completed and you would have to deal with that.

It is possible she doesn't find out or that she does nothing in court.But contempt is the risk you run here whenever she were to file it. You decide if you want to take the risk and deal with anything that comes up.Legally since these are in your name you likely can sell them without her consent.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 10 months ago.

Thanks again, if you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always sincerely appreciated.