Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I chose this house with my husband and our realtor BUT we

Customer Question

I chose this house with my husband and our realtor BUT we were not married until the next year ,the reason for that was because I was in bankrucy with first husband and realtor said it wouldn't look good and we might not get the house,if I can't get the house can I get him to buy me out on my half to get a home for me??i worked after I married him and helped him a lot with payments ,also I had a thrift store and when he retired I had to close my store and have all my things in this house makes my house super cluttered with boxes and all these things were mine before I even got with this man...we've been married since 2004.am I entiled to anything? This man is very abusive to me not physically but with his big mouth. I'm 60 yrs now he's 75. And just getting worst. I need some help badly .i feel so hopeless.Thank' You
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 10 months ago.

I am so sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, Texas law is pretty clear that property one owns before the marriage is only that person's property. However, I still think you have a strong basis to seek spousal support and repayment of the money you put towards the home. You are entitled to some of his income that he earned during the marriage, any savings or retirement accounts. I strongly suggest you meet with a family law attorney who can walk you through the steps.