Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Can you tell me how to do a voluntary surrender on a piece

Customer Question

Customer: Can you tell me how to do a voluntary surrender on a piece of jewelry?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm trying to help my son. He is in a bad situation. He got engaged and the relationship didn't work out. He subsequently lost his job and cannot make the payments. its is past the return date.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Your son can try to return the jewelry to the creditor, and it should accept it back......but if the value has decreased, he may be liable to pay the difference back to the creditor (called a deficiency judgment).

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Im not satisfied with your answer. I want to know how to do a voluntary surrender
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

That is how you'd voluntarily surrender any personal property -- you take the collateral to the creditor and turn it over to them.