Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I am an executive planning to leave my company in a few

Customer Question

I am an executive planning to leave my company in a few months. How long after leaving the company can I sell company stock without the risk of perceived insider trading. I would never trade on insider info, but recognize that there is a perception risk.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

I would tell you that three months here is pretty good amount of time to then sell stock after you have left.This really allows for time that would give you good defense against such claims.That would be enough time for the company to change directions and hire someone to replace you.

Again three months from the time you leave is reasonable amount of time to then sell what you want to sell.I cannot see the government here claiming otherwise. You may choose to sell at this time.Often you have good reason to unload it, this is enough time to eliminate such claims.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.I wish you good luck here moving on.Thanks again.