LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I have been living with my "significant other" since

Customer Question

I have been living with my "significant other" since December 2006. I have paid rent in cash all this time. Now my "significant other" decides that we should no longer live together and wants me to leave. What are my rights in this matter? I can leave but will take several months to put the money together. Please let me know what my options are.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 10 months ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Based upon what you shared above, you would be viewed as a tenant. Even though you were in a relationship, if they want you to leave they can provide you with a notice to do so and at least 30 days to vacate, after which they could proceed through the court and evict you. I am sorry to say but they do not have to give you several months, just one. As such, you need to try and work something out with them, to buy yourself more time and get them to cooperate, so this can be a peaceful separation and they do not have to worry about proceeding through the courts. You can offer to still pay rent and other expenses, to keep the peace but if they wanted to, they could demand you leave in a month and if you refuse evict you and have you out a few weeks thereafter. I know it was not what you were hoping to hear but I have an obligation to be upfront and honest with you.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!