Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I sign on Gardian home alarm system in 2013 for $45 a month

Customer Question

I sign on Gardian home alarm system in 2013 for $45 a month basic service. At the time we agreed to a two year contract. I call them up trying to cancel the service because I have no use of the alarm service. Guardian rep said my contract is till 2025 and have to pay a large sum of termination fee. I felt like I have been defrauted. No general service contract have this ridiculous terms. How can I get out this contract? Or where can I get the help?
Conrad Chen
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

The best place to start is with your state's consumer fraud division of the attorney general's office. Here's a link the site: https://oag.ca.gov/contact/consumer-complaint-against-business-or-company

Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

You could also attempt to sue the other party for creating an unconscionable contract and try to have it revoked that way, but it would be an expensive proposition.....so starting with the AG's office would certainly be the best place to begin.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
To file a sue will be in which court?
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

You'd likely be in superior court given that the amount remaining due on 9 years left on the contract likely exceeds the small claims limit.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What is the general cost to file the sue and go through the process?
Expert:  Roger replied 10 months ago.

There's really no general cost....it really depends on how much the opposing party wants to fight. So, you could spent $1000 or $15,000.....depending on how much fighting is involved.