LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I was in the process of moving out of state to Phoenix with

Customer Question

I was in the process of moving out of state to Phoenix with my boyfriend at the time. I had moved most of my belongings and we had broken up in the process. I am currently in Denver and have contacted him several times to retrieve my belongings. He said he would ship them to me, then digressed and said I have to come pick them up, and now is saying he threw them away. Is this illegal? Can the police prosecute him? And can I get reimbursed for my stuff.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon Mary,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If he threw them out, yes you can file a police report and claim theft and destruction of your property and you may sue him civilly for the value of the things he threw out, as well as for punitive damages to punish him for the destruction of your property.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug