How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37078
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was in the process of moving out of state to Phoenix with

Customer Question

I was in the process of moving out of state to Phoenix with my boyfriend at the time. I had moved most of my belongings and we had broken up in the process. I am currently in Denver and have contacted him several times to retrieve my belongings. He said he would ship them to me, then digressed and said I have to come pick them up, and now is saying he threw them away. Is this illegal? Can the police prosecute him? And can I get reimbursed for my stuff.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Mary,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If he threw them out, yes you can file a police report and claim theft and destruction of your property and you may sue him civilly for the value of the things he threw out, as well as for punitive damages to punish him for the destruction of your property.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,