P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

An 18-year-old student of mine has told other students as

Customer Question

An 18-year-old student of mine has told other students as well as my administrator that "the only reason I took (my current teaching job) is so that "I can pay less in child support." This is certainly not true and it was something I never said. Do I have grounds for suing for libel since this comment is a threat to my livelihood having been told to my administrator and the broader community?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 10 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Defamation (which includes slander and libel) is defined as a false statement of fact that harms the reputation of the victim.

If this adult, student, lied about you...and the lies harmed your reputation? YOu can sue them for defamation.

You can also consider a lesser measure, having a local attorney send a "cease and desist" letter, threatening a lawsuit if they keep up this defamation. This would be far less expensive than a full blown lawsuit.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.