socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I work school district that as always provided flma.

Customer Question

Hi! I work for a school district that as always provided flma . Recently I went to apply and denied because they said I don't have enough hours since I'm only a 6.5 hr a week employee. I know that it's a rolling year, not sept till June year. I have worked there for 11 years and took it twice before for death in family and spouse illness . I did the calculations and I believe they are wrong . We work 185 days . Thanks Robyn
Expert:  socrateaser replied 10 months ago.

The federal Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) requires that an employee must work at least 12 months and 1,200 hours for an employer, to qualify for benefits. Assuming that you worked at least 185 days and 6.5 hours per day, since the last time you were granted FMLA benefits, then you would have accumulated 1,202.5 hours, which would be sufficient to qualify you for FMLA leave.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

The federal Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) requires that an employee must work at least 12 months and 1,250 hours for an employer, to qualify for benefits. Assuming that you worked at least 185 days and 6.5 hours per day, since the last time you were granted FMLA benefits, and during the past 12 months, then you would have accumulated only 1,202.5 hours, which would not be sufficient to qualify you for FMLA leave.

Maybe I'm missing something in the calculation, because there are other facts involved. Feel free to explain your calculation, and I'll try to provide further assistance.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!