Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

If I want to make art and sell it, and I'm including just a

Customer Question

If I want to make art and sell it, and I'm including just a few bars of sheet music in the art, and the music is copyrighted, must I pay a royalty. Say, just 10 bars of music.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you are incorporating a copyrighted work into your new work, it is called derivative use. This means you need to have written consent of the owner of the copyright to do so (even if it is a few bars) to use that copyrighted work in your work. See: http://digital-law-online.info/lpdi1.0/treatise6.html.
So you have to contact the owner of the sheet music to get permission to make derivative use of their work in your art in writing.