Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Our home was destroyed by an electric outlet that failed and

Customer Question

our home was destroyed by an electric outlet that failed and shorted out and burned the house down. The insurance company sent a letter saying our insurance would be cancelled due to the fact the house was a total loss. The garage and its contents was reduced to rub le.
I am 74 years old and unable to identify all my losses. The only thing salvageable was my wives set of china everything else is gone including our 5 animals. what can be done in this situation? Can a reasonable settlement be made?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Why did the insurance company cancel your policy? It would make sense for them to say you're not insured going forward, because there's no house left to ensure. But are they also saying they don't have to pay for your belongings? And if so, what is their basis for saying that? This scenario is basically what homeowner's insurance was created for.