Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I signed a residency agreement mother in sept. 2007. She

Customer Question

I signed a residency agreement for my mother in sept. 2007. She went to the hospital recently and from there to a skilled nursing facility. She has been approved for Medicaid and has no assets. There is an unpaid balance at the facility. When I signed the agreement as the responsible party there is a recital in the contract that reads .. In the event the resident fails to pay any amount or amount due the responsible party hereby agrees to pay all amount due. I am her POA. I didn't think I was responsible for any of her dept. Do I have recourse. Do I need an attorney. Bob
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma.

That language that you are citing

"In the event the resident fails to pay any amount or amount due the responsible party hereby agrees to pay all amount due"

Would make you liable for the bills that she does not pay, or mom does not pay.

But this was in 2007...when did they present the bill to you?