Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Are recordings permissible as evidence in civil proceedings

Customer Question

are recordings permissible as evidence in civil proceedings if the person being sued was unaware of them
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Any statement made by a party is admissible into evidence against them, and is not considered hearsay. N.C. Rules of Evidence, R 801. Under N.C. Gen. Stat., Section 15A-287, only one party to a conversation need consent to it being recorded. So, if you're recording your own conversation, that's admissible, even if you didn't tell the other party. Or if someone else in the conversation said you could record it, that's also OK.

Note that the recording would have had to have been made in North Carolina or in another one-party consent state.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.