Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I just bought a 10 year home. My neighbor has been bothering

Customer Question

I just bought a 10 year home. My neighbor has been bothering me to allow him to bring his yard person to remove an existing flower bed from my yard next to his fence so water can drain from his yard thru mine to a drainage hole at end of street( my house is the last house on the street)he tells me that the previous owner of my house had refused his request. He is very persistent and even tried to make my lawn person do this when I was gone on vacation without getting an ok from me first. My lawn person ignored him. My own backyard is already the lowest point on the street and is waterlogged after rain from drainage from the neighbors yard. I certainly do not need more water in my yard. How do I tell him nicely no and if he persists ?
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear that. If he continues to harass you, it may be a good idea to have an attorney send a cease and desist letter asking him to stop contacting you regarding this issue. If he fails to oblige, you can ask for a restraining order. Of course, then can make it very awkward if you were to pass each other in the streets of the neighborhood, but this gentlemen does not seem to understand that no means no.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I want to nicely to tell him once and for all " no" what would be a nice way to tell him. Give me some wordings or sentences I can use. He does live next door and seem friendly enough so I don't want to cause bad blood. He is highly educated and in his 70s and just seem to be stuck with this idea.

I understand. I would say something to the effect that I understand your need, but part of the reason I bought the house was I loved the yard and the flower bed and would like to maybe do some gardening. Secondly, my yard already gets a lot of drainage from neighbors when it rains so this would only exacerbate that problem.

I ask that you respect my wishes on this matter.

Good evening. We only get credit for answering your question if you accept and provide a rating. If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Thank you for signing up for our service. If you need further assistance, let us know, otherwise, please "accept" the answer. If you are inclined, a positive rating is appreciated.