Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

My daughter has just paid off the loan on her car that had

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** Mitchell. My daughter has just paid off the loan on her car that had only her husbands name on the title. they are separated and she needs to get his name off the title. He is in prison.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The lender told her that she would have to get a power of attorney to do that.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Criminal Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

There are three ways that she can accomplish this:

1) Get her husband to sign off on the title, but that need to be notarized.

2) Get the limited power of attorney from her husband.

3) File for a division of property in court in the process of obtaining a divorce and have the court specify that the car be awarded to your daughter.

Which way she goes depends on how willing her husband is to cooperate. If he is willing either 1 or 2 is easiest.

If he is uncooperative then the divorce and proeprty division is inevitable.

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

I suspect that you will have follow up questions. Please feel free to ask them until we get all your concerns addressed.