LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

My husband came home a couple of days and said he didn't

Customer Question

My husband came home a couple of days and said he didn't want to be married anymore after 31 years of marriage. Of course I am devastated. He started separating our accts which tells me he has been planning this for awhile. I also stopped direct deposit from work. We have a house. He wants to sell. Right now I am not going anywhere. He wants out but I have been blindsided. I just need to know if I am going in the right direction. If he wants out, he is going to have to pay for his freedom. I don't want to be rushed. I put him out and need came back. So we are living under the same roof. How do I protect myself until I can wrap my head around th his?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a licensed attorney for more than 30 years and I handle family law. You have unwittingly asked a couple of dozen questions and how you protect yourself is not subject to a quick answer---though I can certainly give you an answer.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Do you have minor children of the marriage?

2. Can either of you afford the residence without the others financial help?

3. What does "I put him out and need came back" mean?

4. Are you employed outside the home?

5. What are your respective annual incomes?

6. Do you have joint checking accounts, or savings accounts or lines of credit?

Thanks in advance,

Doug