P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

Can you legally separate if the other spouse does not want

Customer Question

Can you legally separate if the other spouse does not want the separation?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

No. Legal separation requires the parties agree. If they do not agree? Then the recourse is divorce

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am living on Social Security in a house bought with MY inheritance money (husbands name is ***** ***** deed) He lives in another state making over 100 Grand a year. How can I pay for a divorce on social secuity?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

The best way would be if you can both agree...you see, a divorce can either be contested or not contested.

Uncontested; Now the fastest, (and by far the least expensive) way to get a divorce is if you can agree on the terms. If you can agree on "who gets what" there is not a need for attorneys...this will cut the costs to a very small amount (court fees)

Contested; if you can not agree, this is a contested divorce. To proceed you need an attorney or need to act as your own attorney (very bad idea). Here the parties present evidence to the court on "who gets what" and the court decides. This takes longer and involves attorney fees for both sides.

SO, if you can agree with your "soon to be ex" on who gets what, great! If not, you need an attorney.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Follow up...did you have more questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since I bought my house in Wa with inheritance money kept separate from any of his accounts is there any way to get his nsme off the deed of my house since he put out no money, has never lived there and lives in another state? He is threatening me that he will take 1/2 of my inheritance bought home if I try to divorce him.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

It is possible to get his name off...either by his consenting to it...or a divorce court ordering it. So if he will not agree? Find a local attorney and file for divorce...once he realizes what it will cost to fight a divorce, perhaps he will be interested in settlement.