LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
15277592

Daughter had an order filed against her by her ex-boyfriend

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, my name is***** daughter had an order filed against her by her ex-boyfriend (more likely by his mother). They are 19 and she doesn't approve of the relationship. As recent as Friday, he invited her over when his mother was not supposed to be home (text messages saved) and then Monday filed an order because she was "driving by his house". Do we need legal representation?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: No, there really aren't any. No physical altercations, or anything like that. Just a bad lifetime movie. Mom doesn't approve (for the record I don't either but they are both 19).
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Names not posted, correct? I sure don't want to jeopardize anything.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What order was filed? Protective order?

2. Was an order served on your daughter?

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Order of Protection
*Has not yet been served. The mom had threatened so I checked circuit clerk records and sae it was filed yesterday.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Well, filing for a protective order doesn't mean that it was actually issued. And, it is not valid until it is served on your daughter. And a parent cannot seek a protective order on behalf of an adult child unless that child is under a disability and the parent is appointed as the legal guardian.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

You may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further.

I wish you well,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Nikky,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug