Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

My ex husband and I leased a car together. I'm the borrower

Customer Question

Hello. My ex husband and I leased a car together. I'm the borrower and he's the co-borrower. I took $3,000 of my own money to pay down payment and I make payments every month. I also drive it every day. When he gets mad, he threatens to come on my job and take it. He won't turn over the spare key. What can I do?
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 10 months ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

If he's the co-owner on the lease, there is very little you can do if he threatens to take it back. From a legal perspective, he has as much right to possess the car as you do. The law only looks to who has legal right to the car, not who's actually making the payments. The only way to stop him is to get his name taken off the lease, which would typically require his consent. I'd suggest you call the dealership to see what your options are, but it will be difficult to take him off without his consent.