P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
11181181

My daughter and ex-boyfriend's dogs have been living with us

Customer Question

My daughter and ex-boyfriend's dogs have been living with us for the past 4 1/2 years as they travel a lot with their jobs. The ex-boyfriend is insisting I return his dog who has lived with us 4 1/2 of his 5 years via plane - NY to Los Angeles. This dog is a very sensitive, clingy and we feel would be devastated to be separated from my daughter's dog.
Do we have any legal rights to this dog as he is threatening legal action if we don't send the dog back to him. There is no way we can at this time as the temperature in NY is too cold to be sitting on a tarmac.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 10 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

There is no legal requirement that you send this animal anyplace. Period.

That said, the boyfriend can come to collect the animal...as the owner, he has the right to reclaim his property.

But he can not force you to send the animal to him.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.