MIAMILAW1127
MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.
89829185

My father in law pased way five years back in New Jersey and

Customer Question

my father in law pased way five years back in New Jersey and he Inherit ahouse which was shared with new his wife before of his death and also he left some money in the bank
my Question is whould my wife is entiltied to be part those who can Inherit from her father although she is not US citizen and she hold Uk passport and she dont live in US
my second queation is what is the porcess to calim this and do we need lawyer
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Your wife would be entitled as an heir to her inheritance even if she is not a U.S. Citizen.

The process to claim her inheritance would be to find a local probate attorney that can open probate of her father's estate in New Jersey. Then all of his creditors will file into the probate to be paid from proceeds of the estate. Whatever is left over will be split between the surviving heirs.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What about his new wife she leaves in the house can we sell it to get the money
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I also need to know what is the paper needed from our end and can we do it outside US thru someone you know
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
As we don't leave there can we get it thru online services for example

No. You will need to contest the probating of the property through your wife in order to do that and it is unlikely that the court will allow you to force the sale because his new wife has an interest in the property.

You would need to hire a probate attorney in New Jersey to assist you with this.

We are not permitted to make referrals through this site. We are only permitted to answer questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
One more my father in law left children under age outside US from un register married do the have rights for citizenship

Your father was a US citizen, but his wife was not?