LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

My husband is a general contractor that has done work

Customer Question

My husband is a general contractor that has done work for a specific company for the past several years. Recently I sent in some proposals to them and they offered us the job, just asked for proof of insurance before they cut the check. We sent in proof of Liability and said that we were going to hire a couple of sub contractors covered under their own liability policies to help. The company said that they were not ok with that, that these workers would need to be under a comp policy, but my husband could do the work alone. My husband ordered material, and planned to start the job today, however the company is now saying that it is too dangerous for him to do alone, and they will cover the cost of the material, but they will find someone else to do the job. I have all the e-mails and text messages back and forth, however there was not an actual signed contract, just the e-mail stating that my husband had the job. Do we have any legal recourse here?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. For him to sue, he would need to show that as a result of relying on them accepting the proposal, that he turned down other jobs and as a result, lost profit. If he could show that someone else wanted to hire him and he declined, since he was planning to start doing the work, it may allow him to sue for damages, which could be the lost profits, in this case. Since they said they would pay for the materials already ordered, he would not be out of pocket any of those costs. However, if he can not do this, then it would be hard to prevail, since he never started the work and did anything, for which they owe him. He can certainly demand X amount and see if they will pay but if he does not, he would need to retain counsel and try and sue them for breach of contract and have to rely on what was in the emails, to show and prove the terms and conditions and that they were in breach.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!