Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Brandon. My husband took a polygraph test, and got a score

Customer Question

Hi Brandon.
My husband took a polygraph test, and got a score of 95 on it. It was his choice, his idea. If was for infidelelity. The examiner said he believed him. I asked what about the other 5%? I still don't understand what about the other 5%? He's a good LIER . Almost believable at times! Can a person pass this test, if they believe their own lies?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
A polygraph is not a precise instrument and there are margins of error in any testing. Yes, a person who is a pathological liar can indeed pass a polygraph. It is much more difficult for a pathological liar to pass what is called a Computerized Voice Stress Analysis and if you still believe he is lying you could seek a professional CVSA operator to see about giving that test.
However, if the polygraph was within a 95% certainty he was not being deceptive, that is pretty high.