John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
71296933

Can a non-employee (volunteer) hand out business flyers

Customer Question

Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.

Yes, assuming a) it is indeed voluntary, and b) the duty (handing out fliers) is not something the business generally does in its course of business. For example, a restaurant or bar handing out fliers is not a general duty, but, for example, if this is a marketing company that distributes fliers as a part of its business, then the work must be compensated. 29 CFR 785.44

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 10 months ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive-rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.