Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My elderly mother lives with me. She cooks (microwave),

Customer Question

My elderly mother lives with me. She cooks (microwave), feeds and cares for her cat, bathes and dresses herself , and is generally in good mental and physical health – for a 98-year old. However, she is a collector/hoarder and our home contains furniture, art works, memorabilia and large amounts of paper in the form of sweepstakes entries, etc.
During the Christmas holidays her granddaughter (my sister’s daughter), who is an attorney in Washington D.C., visited and decided that my sister and I would be accused of elder abuse unless we arranged to remove the excess furniture, memorabilia and papers from our home.
Question: since my mother is perfectly happy with her living situation, and is able to safely navigate through the home from the kitchen – bedroom – bathroom, etc., is the elder abuse charge a realistic concern?
My sister and her daughter (the granddaughter) want to arrange to bring in movers while my mother is out to lunch with my sister, and basically gut the house during her absence.
I believe that using storm trooper tactics when an emotionally and physically fragile elderly person is involved is unconscionable and I would like to enlist the legal services of an advocate for my mother. I want to spare her any emotional trauma she might suffer should the above plan be enacted.
Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 11 months ago.

Are you online with me?