Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

If I buy a car window decale with a ncaa logo on it can I

Customer Question

if I buy a car window decale with a ncaa logo on it can I re-sell for a different use and not worry about copyrite infrindgment? sorry not a good speller
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under copyright law, there is something called the first sale doctrine. This states when a consumer buys a copyrighted item, the copyright owner cannot prevent the buyer from reselling that item. The law is 17 U.S.C. § 109 and it states that an individual who knowingly purchases a copy of a copyrighted work from the copyright holder receives the right to sell, display or otherwise dispose of that particular copy, notwithstanding the interests of the copyright owner.
So if you legally buy the decal, you can turn around and sell the decal or advertise it for sale under the First Sale Doctrine and your right to re sell the item.