Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I'm native American full blooded father was Onondaga chief.

Customer Question

I'm native American full blooded father was Onondaga chief . Mom was from
Ontario. Oneida . Now I am not by oneida native law not American . There for not eligible for oneida benifitts American benifitts . As Canada claims . I reside on rez where there for I don't have any rights . My family is about 50 strong and growing. . Is there any legal route to be granted own reservation. Or allowed on American rolls . I Worked In USA Since 18 NOW 45
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Have you applied for benefits through the Onondaga? Also, you would need to contact the US Department of Interior Bureau of Indian Affairs for any other government assistance you would need with benefits. Unfortunately, other than the BIA, your appeal and your right to any American benefits would be through the tribal counsel of each tribe, as they have to be the one to recognize you as a member of the tribe and until they do, you would not get benefits from that tribe. However, just because the Oneida deny you does not mean you could not qualify under Onondaga tribal law.