Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Can I return a car in 3 days?
, I brought a pre-owned

Customer Question

Customer: can I return a car in 3 days?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I brought a pre-owned lexis and the computers are off. The dealer said to bring it in and they'll fix them. However, I don't trust that the car is all ok and just want to return it.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: who answers this and what are their qualifications?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is in the state of New Jersey
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes and ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

There is a common misconception that any transaction can be cancelled within 3 days. And unfortunately, it is just that...a misconception. There is a very short list of transactions that have a statutory cancellation right and a used car purchase isn't one of them.

.

If this was a used vehicle, then unless there is something in the purchase contract that states that there is a "right of rescission" within a certain period, then none is implied by statute.

.

In a used car transaction, unless there is a written warranty that comes with the vehicle, the buyer accepts the car in "as is" condition with any faults that may be present when they purchase it. That is why it is critical to have a used car inspected by a mechanic prior to purchasing to ensure it is mechanically sound. After the buyer signs the purchase contract, they are stuck.

.

So at this point, if there is some type of warranty on the vehicle, then the dealer would be obligated to fix whatever the problem was as long as it is covered under warranty, but they wouldn't be under any obligation to refund the purchase money.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a certified pre-owned car. I just want to return it and wanted to understand if it came under the 3 day period. Just to make sure I understand, the 3 day period does not apply to any car purchases?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Just to make sure I understand, the 3 day period does not apply to any car purchases?

.

Correct. Unless your purchase contract specifically states that there is some type or return period where you can return the vehicle for a full refund, then there is none under state or federal law.

.

So I would suggest carefully reading your purchase contract to see if they have some type of "ride and drive" return warranty that might apply here. But I haven't seen any used car sellers, other than CarMax, that offer a return privilge on used vehicle.

.

.

thanks