CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I have been in a relationship years as a common law couple.

Customer Question

I have been in a relationship for 16 years as a common law couple. He died a few weeks ago and I'm not sure what or where I belong. He didn't have a will. I live in Kansas what do I do? His family wants me to manage his estate because they are in another state again what do i need to do?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

Dear Customer,

I am very sorry to learn of your loss.

If your spouse died without a will, they died "intestate" and their assets will pass through the state's "intestate succession" statute - see: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/intestate-succession-kansas.html

As you were common law spouses instead of having a formal marriage license, if you suspect that his family may contest the distribution (as you will see - intestate succession with no children gives all assets to the spouse), you may want to consider speaking to a local probate attorney to assist you with this matter (you likely will not need to retain them for this matter - but a brief consultation to discuss the facts of both your relationship and get some counsel on the local probate court will be well worth an hour or so of attorney's time).