CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

We have a town home in county, town of streamwood. The

Customer Question

Hi, we have a town home in cook county, town of streamwood. The association is randomly creating fees without constituency approval and refuses to give us a copy of our association by law. The management company is feeing us to death. What can we do? The damn thing is still under water.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 11 months ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

You can sue the HOA for breach of contract, and breach of the Illinois Common Interest Development Statute.

(I would recommend retaining an HOA attorney to assist you in this matter). You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).

Short of filing a lawsuit, you can try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.