LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I am co-signer friends bail. I received a final notice today

Customer Question

I am co-signer for a friends bail. I received a final notice today but have never been notified prior. The individual paid 400 yesterday and the bail company is threatening to revoke the bond if he doesn't pay another 500 today. Is this possible and what happens if he revokes it? Also he is very unprofessional yelling and making rude remarks anything we can do about that?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Generally a co-signor on a bail will not receive regular notices. If the person you signed for has not been paying as agreed, the bail bondsman notified you simply as a courtesy, and yes, the bond can be revoked if payment is not made according to the original contract.

Yes, if the contract for the bond is not met, the bondsman has the right to seek the revocation of the bond and your friend will then be incarcerated until trial or a further bond hearing if the court agrees to a no-bond bail----which is generally not to likely to occur.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I be sued for the premium on the bond? The original amt was 100000. And is there any one I can report his nasty disposition to? What can happen if it's revoked am I responsible to pay? Even though he has been paying? Can he demand payment and threaten me this way?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much by the way!
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

You can be sued for the contract price that you agreed to co-sign on for the bond---generally 10% to 20% of the bond amount.

This is a contractual dispute between the bondsman and you. If the criminal defendant was supposed to make payments and has failed to do that, then the bondsman can look to you to pay the debt.

Because you will likely have to pay the debt regardless of whether the bond is revoked by the bondsman, you might as well make the payments and keep your friend out of jail for the time being.

Thank you for your kind words. They are appreciated.

Please understand that in order for me to be compensated for having helped you, I need for you to positively rate my service to you by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy.

Thanks in advance.

I wish you the best,

Doug