Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

While I was still legally married to (but in a divorce

Customer Question

While I was still legally married to (but in a divorce dispute with my ex-wife) she and her then boyfriend took out loans and even used my name in an insurance fraud. I was able to resolve the insurance fraud, and a Citi Bank/Home Depot loan with a police report. Navient and Wells Fargo will not budge on the student loans.
There are two student loans totaling about $20,000 that are now crippling blotches on my credit. One loan has a provable fraudulent signature, and the other simply has an E-signatrue. Both loans were taken out an month apart in 2009.
I have a signed and notarized statement from my ex-wife saying that I didn't actually co-sign her loans. I filed police reports and complaints through the Consumer Financial Bureau. The Attorney General's office has contacted me regarding the Navient loan. I haven't head from the AG for several months.
Wells Fargo with the obviously forged signature has stopped calling. Navient, however, has turned their loan over to National Enterprise Systems.
The question then: They say simply because I was still married in 2009, my wife was free to use my name and make me a co-signer on her loans. If this is true, it would seem I'm screwed. True?
William E. Gann
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a CA licensed attorney for more than 30 years.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Are you saying that your wife actually forged your signature on the student loan application?

Thanks in advance,

Doug

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
my ex simply put me down as a co signer, and in one case just forged my name.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Your dialogue box keeps sending me off to other places. Call my cell if you will.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for the information. Are you wanting to have me call you for the minimal additional charge of $5?

I just need you to accept the call offer and provide your number and I will immediately call you.

Doug

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It says it can't be processed. I corrected the info.???
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry for your difficulties. I will make the offer again, and if that doe snot work, you can get help from customer service and they can assist you in processing the call. You can contact customer service at(###) ###-####

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay, I'll try again
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Great. I'll be here.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did go back and re-enter my CC and, think if went through.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

When it goes through I will be notified by the site, and I have not yet been notified. There can be a short lag time I have noticed, but as of this minute it has not been processed. You may need to call customer service to get this straightened out.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well, I do find that unsettling. I'll check my bank.
My cell is(###) ###-####
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for your number, but until I get the okay from JustAnswer, I can't call you. I am sorry about that.

Doug

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just checked my bank account and you did hit it for $5
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have one charge of $5, is there another charge?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

That $5 was probably the initial deposit on your question value offer, and not the additional $5 for the call.

Again, as this seems to be a problem that is persistent, please contact customer service and they can get this straightened out for you,.

Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

I have to leave my office for about 20 minutes. Hopefully this issue will be resolved by the time I return so I can call you. I look forward to speaking with you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well, I see a $5 charge. I'll pay a second Five, but my confidence is wavering.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Now my account has been hit for $52 and.....
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well, I'll go to the bank and discuss these charges. This is not going well, and I'm not happy.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

To get the call, you pay the original amount you bid for the question---$56 or $57, plus an additional $5 for the call.