Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I received a letter from the IRS stating that they have sent

Customer Question

I received a letter from the IRS stating that they have sent a "lock-in letter" to my employer which states that my employer must not accept a W4 from me and that my tax withholding must be Single with 0 exemptions. This is because I significantly over withheld tax the last few years. Note this is not a wage garnishment, just instruction to my employer to lock my withholding.
I can't imagine my employer will be too happy with having to comply with this. Can they terminate my employment because of this?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your employer has no choice but to comply with this. As far as the employer terminating your employment for this reason, unless you have a written contract to the contrary, your employer can terminate your employment for no reason at all or for any reason not based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin. Thus, if the employer wants to terminate you for this reason they can legally do so unless you have a written contract stating something to the contrary.