Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

How must medical records be kept by the medical office after

Customer Question

How long must medical records be kept by the medical office after the patient is no longer a patient
Expert:  Ely replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

This falls under medical retainer law. Under 22 Tex. Admin. Code § 165.1(b), records for minor patients must be kept seven years after the date of the last treatment or until the patient reaches age 21 - whichever date is later. For adult patients, the records must be kept seven years from the date of the last treatment. This applies to private medical offices.

The law is different for hospitals however - let me know if you need the statutory requirements for hospitals.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.