Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

In 1978 at 16 years of age, I changed the spelling of my

Customer Question

In 1978 at 16 years of age, I changed the spelling of my first name and I changed my middle name for $1 at the California DMV. So my license and Social Security card have all had Dweighn P Secrist. My now expired passport, Marriage License and several FBI back ground checks have all been Dweighn P Secrist.
Upon moving to Florida, they refused to issue my license or voter registration as the person I've been since 1978. How can I prove or move the Floridian DMV to correct this? They told me to get a court order or a new Birth Certificate.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 11 months ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

Do you have the change of name documents from the DMV from 1978?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, it was a $1at the DMV..I'm wondering now, since I was a minor at the time, if my mom can request a new birth certificate with the spelling I've used all my life.

Since you are an adult now, you can request a change to your birth certificate. I'm not sure how name changes were conducted in 1978, but the procedure now is to go through the courts (except for last name changes after marriage). You have to file a petition in court, and the judge has to grant your name change. The process is the same for minors. Like I said, I'm not sure how things were done in 1978, but it is apparently quite different. My suggestion would be to go through the court process now and get your birth certificate offically changed. Below is a link with the California procedure and the forms you will need.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/22489.htm

My oveall point is that I'm not sure whether or not your name change in 1978 was legal. I'm not familar with the laws at that time, but it is a much different process than what exists today, which gives me some concerns about whether it was properly done. So, the safest route is to apply for a name change now under the current process, and you will have a court order backing you up.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, thanks for the info..

Glad to help. If I can't do anything else for you, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.

Is there something else I can do for you?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, I'm screwed..I can't get medicines or travel until it's fixed..40 years "known as" a different spelling. Just have to figure it out.

I understand. It is a frustrating situation.

If you don't have any more questions, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go (that's how I get credit for my work).

If you are having trouble with the rating process, just let me know and I can help take care of it.