Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I borrowed a large sum of money (75,000.00) to my nephew. He

Customer Question

Customer: I borrowed a large sum of money (75,000.00) to my nephew. He signed a promissory note which was notarized. Nephew was to make payments every month. As of the date he over a year and a half behind. Every thing he owns is mortgaged. He does have his own business. How can I get my money out of him?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The credit card checks I wrote him were to be a business loan. But the promissory note was just signed by him. I had to mortgage my home to keep the credit card people away. I recently sold my home and paid the mortgage off, now I am out the money.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear that and it is often difficult when these issues involve family. You will need to file a lawsuit for breach of contract in order to get a judgement against him. Once you have a judgement you have some remedies such as liens or wage garnishment on his business income.

If you do not need further assistance, please accept and rate the service so that it can be closed out.