Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I wrote a book and it was published by Xlibris Publishing

Customer Question

I wrote a book and it was published by Xlibris Publishing company, I had spoke to about 18 of their employees and the did NOT follow my editing and writings. The did not keep it in order as I wrote it, they published my book with about 40 per cent of mistakes, also duplicate stories and duplicate photo's, I called them and they had no answer for me. I spent almost eight years researching and writing and editing, I paid Xlibris Publishing over $6,800.00. When I notified them I cancelled my contract, I hired a second Publisher Outskirts Press, they charged me over $4,400.00, However they did publish the book with the correct editing and stories. They changed the cover to make it veru attractive, putting the title and sub-titles in large with lettering. But all the reviews I had were from a 5 Star to a 4 Star and some 3 Stars, but my book isn't in the stories, Xlibris has my book with all the mistakes on Amazon right next to the corrected book from Outskirts Press. So spending over almost $12,000.00 with great ratings, the book isn't in the stories. I E mailed called Amazon and they never returned my calls or E mails, I asked why are they selling the book from Xlibris Publishing right next to the CORRECTED book by Outskirts Press. No answer The new published book by Outskirts Press has the title and sub-titles in large white lettering making the cover very attractive. Xlibris Publishing hasn't returned my requests. How can I recover my money and or have my book published. The title of my book is History of Street Cops by Greg Zito, history of my carrer as a Military Police Officer a Chicago Transit Police Officer and finally a Chicago Police Officer promoted to Detective and then Gang Crimes Specialists working on the Gangs of Chicago. The first six months assigned to Cabrini Green Housing Area which was controlled by two large Gangs I would appricate an answer as to my actions against Xlibris Publishing.
Thank you Greg Zito***@******.*** 1-***-***-****
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Can you be a little more specific in your question? The ones you asked are very general and when we answer general questions it usually results in the customer stating " I already knew that". If you can be as specific as possible in your question then I can be specific in my answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I recover my monies from Xlibris Publishing for publishing my book with SO MANY MISTAKES and why are they allowed to SELL my book right next to the corrected second addition and edited by Outskirts Press. Outskirts Press, changed the cover to have the title and sub-titles in large white lettering's making the second edited book very attractive, Why are they allowed to sell my book with so many mistakes and how can I recover my expensives from Xlibris Publishing Thank you 95 percent of my ratings were five STARS
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

You will have to sue the to recover your money if they don't voluntarily give it back to you.

As to why they are allowed to sell your book, I am assuming that it was a part of the contract you signed with them or in one of their agreements. Usually the way the books get into the book stores is through a distributor. When you sign up to print and sell your book through Createspace, a company owned by Amazon, then you can choose to list it with a distributor as a part of their catalog and it then become available to the book stores although they have to choose to carry it.

It wounds like what you're going to have to do is sue Xlibris for breach of contract and also for an injunction to prevent them from continuing to market your book. You can recover your damages and your attorney's fees as a part of your case.