Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I would like a sample copy of a "grand jury packet"

Customer Question

I would like a sample copy of a "grand jury packet" preferably on the issue of "attempted sexual assault" or sex related crime. Of course it can be redacted or contain hypothetical facts. I would also prefer it to be specific to the jurisdiction of Texas.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

What do you mean by a "grand jury packet"?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1. All the sample draft documents, letters of support, proposed exhibits, bullet points, arguements, power points, Persuasive Narrative, dispute of relevant allegations contained in "probable cause affidavit" that is presented to the Grand Jury members when they deliberate whether to return a no true bill or true bill in Texas. 2. Here is a sample cover letter from James Publishing.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
November 24, 2015Grand Jurors of Dallas County, Texas
Frank Crowley Courts Building
133 N. Riverfront Blvd # *****
Dallas, Texas 75207Re: The State of Texas vs. Matthew
Cause Number (cause number)Allegation of Attempted Sexual AssaultDear Members Of The Dallas County Grand Jury
I represent Mr. ______ in connection with the above referenced matter.
Having reviewed and investigated carefully all the facts and circumstances surrounding this matter, I am respectfully ***** ***** Mr. _____________ case be “no billed” by the Dallas County Grand Jury. I would offer the following information in support of this position.BACKGROUND
(set out the background and family situation of the _____________ in a light favorable to the _____________)
PRIOR CRIMINAL LAW MATTERS
(set out the _____________’s lack of criminal history or set out criminal history in manner as favorable to _____________ as possible)CHRONOLOGY OF ALLEGED OFFENSE DATE
(set out chronology of offense date in manner favorable to _____________ keeping in mind the facts that the grand jury will hear from the prosecutor)ARREST
(set out chronology of the _____________’s arrest in manner favorable to _____________ keeping in mind the facts that the grand jury will hear from the prosecutor)
LAW
(set out the applicable law in a light favorable to _____________)EXPLANATION OF PHYSICAL EVIDENCE AGAINST _____________
(explain the physical evidence in a manner favorable to _____________ keeping in mind the facts that the grand jury will hear from the prosecutor)(Title this section according to content about favorable aspects of _____________’s life)
(set out favorable factors such as charitable or community activities, awards, certifications, etc.)CORRECTIVE MEASURES
(here recite the steps _____________ has taken to correct the situation that resulted in his arrest)CONCLUSION
In the event that you desire any of the witnesses in support of Mr. _____________ to be present at the Grand Jury to offer testimony under oath, I have agreed to make them available.. I make this offer because there is simply nothing to withhold in connection with this case. Mr. _____________’s actions and the events of (date of alleged offense) are well-documented.
I would respectfully ***** ***** the Grand Jury no-bill Mr. _____________.
Thank you for your courtesy in connection with review of this matter.Sincerely,
________________________________________
Paul Lawyer, Attorney and Counselor at Law

I'll have to opt out of this one. There are no statewide forms that are used, they differ from county to county and in most counties almost nothing except the form used for the true bill or no bill are written.

No need to respond, someone should pick up shortly.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK thanks. Im not looking for an "Official Form" im sure none exist. I am looking for a sample a "performance example."
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question.
Your previous expert has left the question, but I am afraid the reason is not that he cannot give you an answer, it is because grand jury proceedings are confidential, so you are not going to find the information you are seeking out there on the internet nor can you even get them as part of your public records rights because they are not public record.
It is that your question is impossible for us to provide you the actual contents of a grand jury package as they are secret proceedings and not published anywhere I am afraid.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I appreciate you taking the time to just give me a response. However, Can I ask that you opt out of this one. I myself am a Virginia attorney since 1998. I sought help as criminal defense is not my area. For educational purposes its entirely appropriate to redact any legal document or change it so nothing confidential is released. Im not asking for actual filed documents. It really not correct to say that secret proceedings cover redacted or reworked example documents. Were that the case Legal form companies would be run out of business. James publishing gives a skeletal outline, I'm looking for something more detailed as a performance example, not actual filed documents. I do not want to negatively rate you, this is just a matter that you don't know enough, or have never used or submitted a "grand jury packet" to give me a difinitive answer.
Good luck to you. I understand about redaction of legal documents, but grand jury documents, unless you get them from someone in the Texas District Attorney's office would not be available online. But since you seem to think otherwise (your question sat for a very long time just because the information was not available) I will opt out and it will sit again. Best wishes to you.