Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Do grandparents have legal right to see grandchildren and

Customer Question

Do grandparents have legal right to see grandchildren and what are my rights if so !
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Illinois law gives grandparents the right to go to court and seek visitation with grandchildren in certain circumstances, but there is unfortunately no automatic right to grandparent visitation. You have to be able to establish that (1) you have such a meaningful relationship with the grandchildren that they will be harmed if you are not able to continue that relationship and (2) the parents are unreasonably withholding or denying access to the grandchildren. Courts are more likely to grant visitation when the parents are not married and where the parent denying access to the child is not related to the grandparent.

Because the law strongly favors the parents, if you wish to pursue visitation in court, it's a good idea to hire a local attorney to assist you. Grandparents have the burden or proving that the parents don't know what's best for the child in this scenario, and that can be tough.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.