Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I'm no longer an employee with this hospice company in ga

Customer Question

I'm no longer an employee with this hospice company in ga and the caregiver contacted me to come see him if I like before he passes as I became very close ...pt is actively dying. I did return phone call to back to caregiver. The owner of company says I can't go see pt because it is a violation of hippa and not to contact patient or patients caregiver or he will report me to the board and I will lose my rn license. I didn't go visit him. Can the owner of this hospice company legally forbid me to see this family and little old man? Is this a violation of hippa? I'm not giving nursing advice.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 11 months ago.

There is some risk to the facility for a hipaa violation if you are in touch with him or his family unfortunately. They can contact you if they like.

What you want to do is very admirable. If the patient and the family consent they can allow you to visit. Perhaps ask the owner if they will allow it based on your past relationship with the patient. It is not a violation if they consent.