Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I bought a car from a lady, she gave me a bill of sale.

Customer Question

I bought a car from a lady, she gave me a bill of sale. filled out all the info. on the pink slip, I took it to DMV in ca. paid all the required fees, was told I needed a smog cert.
I had a major heart acttac, and all the paper work was lost, all I have is receipt where I paid the fees, upon returning to DMV after several months of recovery time I was told that they could not help me, I explained the sellers name was lost along with ALL the information. They said sorry get a duplicate from Texas. I contacted Texas paid their fees
and thy said sorry TexAS COULD NOT HELP ME FOR I AM NOT THE REGISTERED OWNER.
SO WHAT IS THE ANSWER TO MY DELIMA
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please tell me what state you live in - Texas or California?

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.